How To Exercise Your Glutes While Sitting
Spending the day sitting in front of a screen or driving is one of the worst things we can do for our muscles. This sedentary life enlarges our glutes, decreases toning and increases softness. In addition, sitting on your bum all day can be one of the main causes of cellulite. That is why in this oneHOWTO article we aim to present you with easy and effective ideas on how to exercise your glutes while sitting.
Consequences of sitting for many hours
We have already explained that sitting a long time is bad for the buttocks. However, the detriments of this sedentary lifestyle are not only limited to this part of our body. So many of us are forced into working in this sitting position, and naturally in many cases it is unavoidable. For this reason, it is important to understand some consequences of sitting for many hours:
- Increase in weight.
- Metabolic changes.
- Back problems from bad posture.
- Heart problems.
However, due to obligations not allowing us to spend less time sitting, we need to find alternatives to keep our frame moving. Luckily, there are certain exercises we can carry out to strengthen the gluteus or lose weight while sitting. Make no mistake, this is not a gym replacement, and we recommend still practicing exercise after or before work. However, these exercises can definitely enhance other exercise.
Toning buttocks sitting while sitting elevated
Under the table leg lifts can be a very good and effective way of toning the buttocks while sitting. This exercise can also target the abs and legs. To do this, raise a leg up straight, one at a time, hold it up for a 10 seconds and then change the leg. Here's how to do it step by step:
- Lift your leg a few centimeters above the ground.
- Keep it in high 10 seconds.
- Repeat the same process with the other leg.
- Repeat this as many times as you want during the day.
Contract glutes to harden them
The simplest way to exercise the buttocks without having to get up from the chair is to contract this muscle while sitting. Each time you squeeze these muscles you will notice how they contract and that your hips rise a little. There are two different ways to practice this motion.
- Contract your buttocks 5 seconds and rest the other 5. Repeat 10 times and do this series 5 times throughout the day.
- For 1 minute, contract and relax the gluteus as many times as you can.
- Contract the glutes and keep them there as long as you can.
Rotation of legs while sitting
This exercise is similar to that of leg lifting, however, in this case an there is an extra and more challenging aspect. You must place your buttocks on the edge of your seat, holding on to the floor with one of your semi-flexed leg. The other leg should be lifted and rotating in a circular motion. Here are some tips to maximize these exercises:
- Gradually move from smaller circles to bigger circles.
- At every minute, alternate the direction in which you rotate.
- Once you have done the rotations in both directions, change your leg and do the same.
Squats to tone glutes
If you are at work perhaps this is not as easy and unnoticeable as the other mentioned exercises, but it is probably the most effective option you can use to tone your glutes. All you have to do while sitting is separate your feet so that they are at the height of your pelvis. Next, lift your butt a little off your chair about 2 or 3 centimeters, with your legs. Follow these tricks for this exercise;
- Keep your back completely straight at all times.
- Stay up for at least 10 seconds, if you can do more, perfect!
- Do it 10 times in a row.
- You can use your hands on the desk to hold the balance, but try not too put too much weight in the arms as it should be more in the legs.
Leg abduction is an exercise known to target the buttocks, adductors and quadriceps.
While sitting, place your hands between your legs at knee level. Now, the idea is to try close your legs and your arms need to prevent that from happening. Therefore you need to use strength in your legs to try close them while your arms are fighting to keep your legs open.
Download a fitness app
There are many fitness apps which you can downloaded to help you monitor your exercise, diet and weight. Many of these applications also give you ideas of how to exercise while sitting, for example, we suggest trying the 8fit app.
If you want to read similar articles to How To Exercise Your Glutes While Sitting, we recommend you visit our Fitness category.