How to Do Leg Raises for Lower Abs
To get toned abdominal muscles, it is very important to include exercises for the lower abs in your workout routine. While working on the lower abs, people tries to get a visible V-cut in the lower portion of their abdomen. One of the best exercises for lower abs are leg raises.
If you want to know how to do leg raises for lower abs then keep reading this oneHOWTO article.
Pulse Ups for Lower Abs
A very good leg raise exercise for more toned and defined lower abs is doing pulse ups. Here's how to do them:
- Lie flat on an exercise mat. Keep your hands under your butt such that it can support your lower back. If you are lying on a bench, place your hands behind your head.
- Tighten your core and start raising your legs by contracting your lower abs.
- Keep raising the legs till they are perpendicular to the floor and your body forms a 90 degree angle.
- Contract your core and start raising your upper body. Raise your upper body such that it feels you are reaching out for your legs.
- Hold this position for half a second. You will feel your lower abs contracting. This is called “pulse”. Do not bend your legs during this position.
- After half a second, lower your upper body briefly.
- Repeat another “pulse” motion immediately.
- Repeat this pulsing motion till you have performed 15 ab pulse ups.
Reverse Crunches for Lower Abs
If we recommended crunches for upper abs, reverse crunches with leg raises will be great for your lower abs. Here is how to do reverse crunches:
- Lie flat on an exercise mat. Keep your hands under your butt so that it can support your lower back. If you are lying on a bench, place your hands behind your head.
- Tighten your core and lift your legs upwards so that your butt and hips are off the floor or mat.
- Bend your knees and start pulling them inward toward your head until they are above your chest.
- Hold this position for half a second. Then return back to the initial position.
- Repeat the reverse crunch 12 – 20 times.
As always, remember to stretch after doing crunches.
V-Ups for Lower Abs
The last of our leg raise exercises for lower abs is v-ups, which consist of creating a V-shape with your body. Here's a breakdown of how to do them:
- Lie flat on a flat bench or an exercise mat. Keep your hands straight on both sides of your head.
- Pull your abs and lift your legs and upper body at the same time till you form a 45 degree angle - a v-shape. While lifting your upper body, move your hands from above your head and bring them in front of you. Make sure that your legs are straight.
- Tighten your core and hold this position for two seconds. Then go back to your initial position.
- Repeat the exercise 12 – 15 times.
Don't forget to learn how to stretch your abs after a workout, as your muscles could get quite sore otherwise. This has been how to do leg raises for lower abs; what are your tips to get more definition and strength? Tell us in the comments section!
If you want to read similar articles to How to Do Leg Raises for Lower Abs, we recommend you visit our Fitness category.