How many Teams Play in Ranji Trophy - The Answer
Ranji Trophy is an Indian cricket championship in which several teams represent their regional cricket association. Out of 29 Indian states, 21 state teams play in the tournament, along with 6 other teams. Ranjitsinhji, also known as Ranji, was the first Indian cricket player who played in the international cricket for Sussex and England. The Ranji Trophy has been named after him. Having been played since 1934, cricket clubs, associations and state teams having first class status are selected to play in this tournament.
Click here to know How To Get Selected in Ranji Trophy. And read this oneHOWTO article to find out how many teams play in Ranji Trophy, along with other details.
Ranji trophy teams
The last tournament was held in 2016-17 in Indore, in which 28 teams played in the tournament. The selection process for Ranji is done after several state tournaments, which decide what teams will play the Ranji trophy. These teams were:
- Andhra: This team is being a part of the Ranji Trophy since its inception
- Assam: A part of the eastern zone, this team has never got a chance to win the tournament
- Baroda: Run by Baroda Cricket Association, this is one of the three teams from Gujarat, and is one of the most successful ones
- Bengal: Representing the state of West Bengal, this is the strongest team of western zone
- Chhattisgarh: This team became a member of the BCCI in 2016, and played in the tournament for the first time in 2016-17
- Delhi: Run by Delhi District Cricket Association, this team has won the tournament seven times
- Goa: Based in Goa, this team has been playing in the tournament since 1985
- Gujarat: Representing Gujarat, this team has given many notable players to the Indian international cricket team, including Parthiv Patel
- Haryana: Although this team did not succeed well in the tournament, it gave Kapil Dev to Indian cricket
- Himachal Pradesh: This team has been playing in the tournament since 1985
- Hyderabad: Run by Hyderabad Cricket Association, this team has won the trophy two times
- Jammu and Kashmir: It is a weaker team of the tournament, playing since 1959
- Jharkhand: After the division of Jharkhand and Bihar, this team replaced the Bihar cricket team
- Karnataka: One of the most successful teams, it has given many notable players to Indian cricket, including Rahul Dravid, Anil Kumble, Venkatesh Prasad, Javagal Srinath, Robin Uthappa and many others
- Kerala: Started competing in the tournament in 1957
- Madhya Pradesh: Has been competing in the tournament since 1950
- Maharashtra: Based in Pune, it is one of the three teams representing Maharashtra
- Mumbai: Formerly known as Bombay Cricket Team, it comes under the West Zone
- Odisha: The team reached quarter finals in the 2016-17 season, but lost
- Punjab: Earlier playing as Southern, Eastern and Northern Punjab teams, the Punjab team first played as a unified team in 1968
- Railways: Having home grounds in Delhi and Bhubaneswar, the team is operated by Railways Sports Promotion Board
- Rajasthan: Won the tournament in the 2010-11 season
- Saurashtra: One of the three teams representing Gujarat, its notable players are Pujara, Ravindra Jadeja and Jaydev Ujadkat
- Services (Army): This team represents the Indian armed services of the country
- Tamil Nadu: Earlier, the team was known as Madras team before renaming of Madras to Tamil Nadu
- Tripura: Been playing in the Ranji since 1985
- Uttar Pradesh: Gave numerous international level cricketers, including Suresh Raina, Piyush Chawla, Praveen Kumar, RP Singh, Mohammad Kaif etc.
- Vidarbha: This is the third team that represents Maharashtra state. Some of its notable players are Wasim Jaffer and Umesh Yadav
Teams that no longer play in Ranji Trophy
Following teams have appeared in the tournament in the past, but have stopped doing so:
- Central Provinces and Berar
- Northern India
- Southern Punjab
- Western India
- North West Frontier Province
- Eastern Punjab
- Madhya Bharat
- Northern Punjab
Over all these years, the structure of Ranji Trophy has gone through several changes and modifications. Most wins have been recorded in the name of Mumbai team, which has won 41 times till date.
Ranji trophy 2018 winner
The Ranji Trophy 2018 winners were Vidarbha, representing the Vidarbha region of Eastern Maharashtra.
For more about the Ranji Trophy, we recommend reading:
If you want to read similar articles to How many Teams Play in Ranji Trophy - The Answer, we recommend you visit our Sports category.