How To Do Plank Exercises Correctly
Want to have a flat belly once and for all? It has been found that, of all the abdominal exercises out there, there is one that works to perfection: the plank. It is a type of static exercise which, besides strengthening the womb, will work the thighs, shoulders and flanks. There are two types of exercises that work different body parts and doing either is simple. In this OneHowTo article, we will discover how to do plank exercises correctly and the most revolutionary way to get hard and defined abs. Want to try it?
The plank is a type of fitness practice that works the abdominal area to the max. It is more effective than any other abdominal exercise because it does not work only one area, but hardens and strengthens all parts of the belly, even the sides or flanks.
But there is more: because of its quiet and static posture, the plank works elsewhere on the body such as the hip, back, thighs and shoulders. At first it seems that doing it is easy, but you need to hold the same position for at least 5 minutes and, as the time goes by, you will notice how it consumes a lot of energy and how it tones the muscles in your body.
If you are a beginner, you should start doing the plank exercise progressively: Begin with a minute and a half and increase by 30 seconds each day until you reach 5 minutes. 5 minutes is enough but if you want to tone and define your body even further, keep going until you can't hold your body any longer.
If it's hard for you to do plank exercises holding your weight with your feet or have lower back problems, you can start with both your knees on the floor so you can work on your posture better. Remember the aim of plank is to work the torso's muscles.
There are several types of plank exercises. The first is an exercise that works, as its name suggests, on the center of the body: the muscles of the abdomen, legs, shoulders, chest and back.
How to do the front plank:
1. Position yourself on your front with your arms and elbows bent below you. You have to ensure that your elbows are just below the shoulders so that you will not overload your back and you have a good position.
2. You have to push your body into a straight line and support yourself with your toes. Stretch your body so that the exercise works all your muscles.
3. So that exercise works, it is essential that you have a completely straight body perpendicular to the ground ; tighten your buttocks and abdominal muscles so that your body works properly.
4. You have to stay in this position for 5 minutes breathing deeply. If you're going to do for the first time, you should start gradually.
Another version of this type of plank is to hold your weight with your hands instead of your forearm. In this case, make sure your hands are level with your shoulders and your neck stays in line with the rest of your body (don't look up or down).
The other way that you can do the plank is side-on thus working your abdominal, obliques and legs. You can do it statically or, if you want, you can move the upper arm by raising it and lowering it to the ground. First do one side, then switch sides to exercise the other zone.
The way to do this is as follows:
1. Lie on your side with one leg on top of the other.
2. Your elbow and forearm be well supported on the floor and so that the exercise is performed correctly, your elbow must be perpendicular to your shoulder.
3. The knees should remain straight and ensure that your hips do not reach the ground. Hold this position for 5 minutes, then change sides.
If you want to do totally pro planks and want to go one step further, we suggest two exercises that will boot other muscles in your body and will be more effective when reducing belly fat.
The first exercise will be to do a front plank with your elbows on the floor, but holding your weight with only one leg instead of two. The correct way to do this is resting one foot on top of the other while holding position. Change the leg that rests after you have finished the exercise.
The second exercise requires the aid of a medicine ball. This will increase the intensity of your workout. It's as simple as resting your hands on the medicine ball instead of on the floor. This will also help you work on your balance.
With the plank, you exercise various muscles but the most benefited by this fitness exercise are:
- Sides (flanks)
Introducing the plank into your daily workout routine will help you see your body slowly becoming more toned and smooth. Abdominal fat decreases, provided that you combine your exercise with a healthy, low-fat diet. In this OneHowTo article, we will discover foods that burn belly fat so that you incorporate them into your diet; and the best teas to lose belly fat.
If you want to read similar articles to How To Do Plank Exercises Correctly, we recommend you visit our Fitness category.