How to Make Your Legs Bigger and Stronger
Do you think your legs are too skinny or thin and you're unhappy with them? If you are looking for ways to get bigger legs that look bulkier, you're reading the right OneHowTo article. Here, we give you the best tips for developing your lower limb muscles so you can make your thighs and calves look bulkier. In addition, we suggest exercises that will help you tone up and prevent tissue from losing smoothness and firmness, so you can also combat any flabbiness. Pay attention to the article below and discover how to make your legs bigger and stronger in an easy and effective way.
If you want to make your legs bigger and stonger in an effective way, it is especially important that you follow a strategy that takes two aspects into account: a targeted physical exercise routine to help you develop your lower leg muscles, and a good diet that is balanced and mainly contains protein to promote increased muscle mass. Both aspects, together with adequate rest, will be the perfect formula for increasing the bulk of your legs and stop your legs from looking thin and flabby.
Here are a series of exercises that will work various leg muscle groups at the same time and which will be a great help when exercising. It is important to start slowly if you are a beginner and increase the repetitions and the intensity as you practice them more. This is also essential for preventing future injuries and preventing your muscles and joints from excessive weakening.
Squats are a classic when it comes to toning your legs and building muscle, as they work the quadriceps, hamstrings, calves and glutes simultaneously. It is important to do them properly. Stand with your back straight, arms stretched forward and feet slightly apart. Once in this position, bend your knees as if you're going to sit down and lower yourself down until your thighs are parallel with the floor. Then slowly return back to the starting position.
The above version is a classic form of squats. To follow, we suggest two different ways of doing them which make the exercise harder and allow you to achieve the desired results faster. Read closely:
- Squats with weights: Place a barbell across your shoulders and carry out the squats as explained in the previous step. It is important to keep your back straight at all times so you don't injure your back. If you don't own a barbell like this and want to exercise at home, hold dumbbells in each hand instead whilst doing the movement.
- Fit ball squat: rest a fitness ball against a wall and then lean back to support your back on the ball. Your legs should remain parallel with your toes, although only a little further forward, so that your knee line doesn't move too far forward. Whilst you're in this position with a perfectly straight back, perform the squat whilst sliding the fit ball on the wall at the same time.
What's more, you can do lunges which is one of the best exercises for making your legs bigger and stronger. We recommend you hold dumbbells or barbells whilst performing the movements for them to work most effectively. Stand with your back straight and your feet slightly apart in line with the width of your shoulders. Take a step forward with one leg and bend your knees lower until they form a right angle. After a few seconds, return to the start position and repeat with the other leg.
Exercises performed with a step are excellent for exercising the whole of your lower body, including your legs, buttocks, abdominal area and lower back. In addition, if you perform a dance routine whilst moving up and down on this step, you can benefit from a good cardiovascular workout. The following exercises can give you great results:
- Move up and down by placing one foot on the step and then the other. Do it as if you are going up stairs. You can include a barbell or dumbbells to increase the intensity of the exercise.
- Side step: both legs up onto the step, stretch one of them out and bend both knees. Then repeat with the opposite leg.
- To strengthen your leg muscles, jump up onto the step by making small jumps with your feet together, moving from one side of the step and then to the other.
In addition to the above, we recommend that you do quadriceps extensions which are perfect for strengthening the thighs and increasing muscle mass. To do them, you'll need to use a leg extension machine in the gym. Place your legs under the pad whilst your hands grip the bars at the sides. Once in this position, you have to stretch your legs using only the quadriceps while keeping the rest of the body still in the seat, with your back firm. Then slowly lower the weight with your legs back to the starting position. It is important that you select the appropriate weight for your fitness level to avoid injuring yourself.
If you like physical activity in a group, practice aqua-aerobics or aqua fitness as this is one of the best options for making your legs bigger. When you're in water, it is harder to perform movements and your muscles must work twice as hard. What's more, it's a highly beneficial activity for the cardiovascular system by improving blood circulation and oxygenation of the blood.
As stated earlier in this article, if you want to achieve bigger and stronger legs it's really important you follow a balanced diet, alongside exercise. Stay away from high calorie foods and incorporate food with a high percentage of protein, as protein is essential for gaining muscle, increasing muscle bulk and making legs bigger and more toned. As well as this, you need to consume complete carbohydrates to obtain energy, healthy fats and foods rich in antioxidants.
If you also want to work on your buttocks, here you can find a series of exercises that will help you have bigger and more toned buttocks.
If you want to read similar articles to How to Make Your Legs Bigger and Stronger, we recommend you visit our Fitness category.